Galaxy Council Facebook Page
Great New England Airshow Facebook Page
Our next meeting will be Wednesday September 17th
GALAXY COUNCIL ITEMS OF IMPORTANCE
The GCC Board of Directors have been working on the air show for several months but, they cannot do it all! GCC Members, we need YOUR participation in the following upcoming events
September 23rd - Chicopee Day Parade at the Big E..
Admission is free if you agree to meet at 3:30 and march in the 45 minute parade. The rest of the day is yours. (gate number will be provided)
September 30th - Table top Expo
Visit over 100 exhibitors and hundreds of visitors at the Castle of Knights, 1500 Memorial Drive in Chicopee
October 15 - Chicopee Chamber of Commerce Breakfast at The Log Cabin
Be at The Log Cabin at 7:00am and sell raffle tickets
October 29th - Western Mass Business Expo at the Mass Mutual Center in Springfield
Sell raffle tickets at the GCC booth
November 19 - Chicopee Chamber of Commerce Breakfast at La Quinta Hotel in Springfield
Be present at the breakfast as they salute Westover and the GCC
Please plan to attend at least one of the above events.
Contact Bud Shuback at email@example.com or call (413) 592-6301
Westover Community Involvement
2014 Galaxy Community Council President’s Annual Report
In 2013 the Galaxy Community Council had some notable accomplishments of which we can be proud. Although it wasn’t the success we had hoped it would be, I can’t say enough about all of you who pitched in to work this year at Great New England Wings and Wheels. I also want to thank everyone for your involvement in our other activities this year. Thanks also to everyone at Westover Air Reserve Base for their continued hospitality and support. We appreciate the recognition of Brigadier General Steven Vautrain and his staff who have made it very clear that the GCC is an important organization at Westover. We have also been recognized by Air Force Reserve Command.
Due to Congressional mandated Sequestration and furloughs, it was a tough year for the men and women at Westover who had to take days off without pay. In spite of that, Westover was rated the best air reserve base in the Air Force Reserve Command. Congratulations to them!
Our accomplishments this year include:
• Over 100 GCC, family and community volunteers worked diligently to support the first edition of Great New England Wings and Wheels on August 24th & 25th.
• On September 7th, approximately 80 GCC and family volunteers enabled over 3,000 reservists and their families to enjoy a fun-filled Family Day at Westover. The GCC also made a significant financial contribution by paying for ice cream, popcorn and raffle prizes.
• We participated in the Chicopee Memorial Day Parade with a marching contingent of 30 members.
• We continue to have a strong relationship with the Pioneer Valley USO at Westover.
• For the first time we supported Youth Outreach Day at Westover. We provided the funds for lunch to over 160 students from local high schools who were guests of the Air Force for a day.
• We continued relationships between the GCC and the local community via memberships in the Chicopee Chamber of Commerce and Greater Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau as well as with our elected officials to bring awareness of what of the impact that Westover has in our local communities and the state.
2014 activities will include:
• One or two fundraisers to provide start-up funds for the next Great New England Air Show, featuring the
U S Navy Blue Angels on May 16th and 17th, 2015. The Board of Directors will be working hard at securing sponsors and available grant monies to support this event.
• In October, Westover ARB will be celebrating its 75th anniversary and the 439th Airlift Wing will be celebrating its 50th anniversary.
• We will continue our successful speakers’ program at the General Meetings.
• Participation in the Chicopee Memorial Day Parade and Veterans’ Day activities.
• We will contribute to the Westover USO, the Airman & Family Readiness Center, the Civil Air Patrol and the Westover Young Marines.
• We will organize bus trips to locations of interest by GCC members.
• We also will do what we can to provide input to the National Commission on the Structure of the Air Force and the Massachusetts Military Asset and Security Strategy Task Force in advocating for Westover Air Reserve Base and its place in Western Massachusetts.
Our membership continues to be strong; we have approximately 150 members who have renewed their memberships.
I encourage all GCC members to actively participate in all of our activities and to invite guests to consider joining our organization. Our mission is to enhance the ties between Westover and the surrounding communities, and support the men and women at Westover . If anyone has any suggestions or wants to become more involved in an activity to better fulfill our mission, please contact me or any member of the board of directors. I’m proud to be associated with the members of the Galaxy Community Council, which will continue to be an important part of the Westover Family. With your help, we can look forward to another successful year for the GCC and Westover ARB in 2014.
Bud Shuback, President
Galaxy Community Council
Galaxy Council Board Member Ed Spellacy continues his short stories (Pan Amusings) from his days as a Pan Am 747 Captain. Check out these very interesting stories from a fellow member.
New Story "20 Years and Counting"
The Air force Newsletter "Patriot"
2013/2014 Galaxy Council Officers:
President: Bud Shuback
Vice President: Connie Foster
Secretary: Joe Marois
Treasurer: Paul Aubuchon
Subject: 2014 GCC meeting & events schedule
Effective March 19th, the GCC meeting schedule has been changed to the THIRD WEDNESDAY of every month. Advance notice of changes will be posted at www.galaxycouncil.com.
Meeting cancellations due to weather will be posted on WGGB 40 & Fox 6.
Unless otherwise notified, all Board of Directors meetings will be held in the Wing HQ conference room beginning at 1600 hrs sharp.
General Membership meetings will continue to be held at the Westover Club beginning with dinner at 5:30 PM. The business meeting will begin at 6:30 PM.
2014 Meeting Schedule
20 August Cancelled
17 December (no Board meeting)
Reminder: Seat belt usage is mandatory on Westover ARB. Violators will lose base access privileges for 30 days.
Military Discounts plus 1st Month Free
“CITIZENS SERVING THE PATRIOT WING”
The Galaxy Community Council is a 501c3 charitable corporation.
It is not part of the Department of Defense or any of its components and has no governmental status.
For more information, visit www.galaxycouncil.com