Galaxy Calendar of Events
Our next meeting will be Wednesday March 18th
GALAXY COUNCIL ITEMS OF IMPORTANCE
The GCC Board of Directors have been working on the air show for several months but, they cannot do it all! GCC Members, we need YOUR participation in the following upcoming events
2015 Galaxy Community Council President’s Annual Report
2014 has been an excellent year for the Galaxy Community Council. We have welcomed many new members, meeting attendance has been great and we have enjoyed outstanding guest speakers at our meetings at the Westover Club. Our financial status, under the direction of Treasurer Paul Aubuchon, is solid.
Our mission is to support the men, women and mission of the military units at Westover. We are an important member of the Westover Family and we enjoy a great relationship with the Westover ARB Command and Staff. We look forward to working with Westover’s new Wing Commander, Col. Al Lupenski and new Command Sergeant, CMSgt Tim Maguire.
Westover ARB is the nation's largest Air Force Reserve base, and is home to the Air Force's largest cargo aircraft, the C-5 Galaxy. More than 5,500 military and civilian workers are assigned to Westover's 439th Airlift Wing, a unit of the Air Force Reserve Command.
The mission of the wing is to provide worldwide air movement of troops, supplies, equipment and medical patients. The 337th Airlift Squadron is the wing's flying unit, and operates the C-5.5 which specializes in missions involving outsized and oversized cargo that no other aircraft can carry.
The GCC will continue to look for ways to support our military personnel and civilian organizations at Westover. Although the 2013 Sequestration issue has faded, it is important to remember that military budgetary cutbacks will continue Air Force wide. Eight of Westover’s C-5Bs are scheduled to be reassigned and the remaining eight will be upgraded to the more sophisticated C5M model.
On May 16th & 17th the Great New England Air Show will return to Westover. This will be one of the most exciting editions of our air show, featuring the U. S. Navy’s Blue Angels jet demonstration team, the Royal Canadian Air Force Snowbirds jet demonstration team, the U. S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team as well as civilian aerobatic performers and vintage war birds that are provided by the GCC. Our responsibilities are a huge undertaking that will require the participation of all GCC members. I look forward to working with everyone to make this a successful and memorable event.
Our accomplishments this year include:
• Participation in the Chicopee Memorial Day Parade with a contingent of 30 members.
• We continue help our reservists who have been deployed by contributing to the Pioneer Valley USO at Westover to help them and their families.
• We again supported Youth Outreach Day at Westover. We provided the funds for lunch to over 160 students from local high schools who were guests of the Air Force for a day.
• We continued relationships between the GCC and the local community via memberships in the Chicopee Chamber of Commerce and Greater Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau as well as with our elected officials to bring awareness of the impact that Westover has in our local communities and the state.
• Our fundraisers, led by Bill Hick, connie Foster and othershave added several thousand dollars to our air show account.
2015 activities will include:
• Fundraisers to provide start-up funds for the next Great New England Air Show, featuring the U S Navy Blue Angels on May 16th and 17th, 2015. The Board of Directors will continue to work hard at securing sponsors and available grant monies to support our responsibilities at this event.
• Westover ARB is celebrating its 75th anniversary and the 439th Airlift Wing is celebrating its 50th anniversary.
• We will continue our successful speakers’ program at the full membership Meetings.
• We will participate in the Chicopee Memorial Day Parade and Veterans’ Day activities.
• We will contribute to the Westover USO, the Airman & Family Readiness Center, the Civil Air Patrol and the Westover Young Marines.
• We will consider a Fall bus trip to a location of interest by GCC members.
• We also will do what we can to provide input to the Westover Community Outreach Initiative and the Massachusetts Military Asset and Security Strategy Task Force in advocating for and expanding use of Westover Air Reserve Base and its place in Western Massachusetts.
None of the activities that I have described happen without a lot of work by GCC members. We need your help. I encourage all GCC members to actively participate in all of our activities and to invite guests to consider joining our organization. Our mission is to enhance the ties between Westover and the surrounding communities, and support the men and women at Westover. If anyone has any suggestions or wants to become more involved in an activity to better fulfill our mission, please contact me or any member of the board of directors. I’m proud to be associated with the members of the Galaxy Community Council, which will continue to be an important part of the Westover Family. With your help, 2015 will be another successful year for the GCC and Westover ARB.
Bud Shuback, President
The 2015 Great New England Air Show
What: Westover Air Reserve Base Open House and GREAT NEW ENGLAND AIR SHOW
Where: Westover Air Reserve Base, Chicopee, Massachusetts
When: Saturday, May 16th and Sunday May 17th, 2015
Why: Community outreach to link military service members and surrounding communities
Economic Impact: A University of Massachusetts study estimated that the impact to the communities surrounding Westover ARB was $13.5 million with $8.2 million coming from outside of the region.
Produced by: United States Air Force Reserve Command’s 439th Airlift Wing
Supported by: The Galaxy Community Council at Westover
PARKING and ADMISSION are FREE!
Galaxy Council Board Member Ed Spellacy continues his short stories (Pan Amusings) from his days as a Pan Am 747 Captain. Check out these very interesting stories from a fellow member.
The Air force Newsletter "Patriot"
Subject: 2015 GCC meeting & events schedule
Meetings of the GCC membership will be held on the third Wednesday of the month. Advance notice of changes will be posted at www.galaxycouncil.com.
Meeting cancellations due to weather will be posted on WGGB 40 & Fox 6.
Unless otherwise notified, all Board of Directors meetings will be held in the Wing HQ conference room beginning at 1600hrs sharp on the same date.
General Membership meetings are at the Westover Club. Dinner is available between 5:15 and 6:15 PM. The business meeting begins at 6:30 PM sharp.
2015 Meeting Schedule
15 May The Great New England Air Show Kick-off breakfast
16-17 May The Great New England Air Show
25 May Memorial Day Parade
11 November Veterans Day Activities
Other activities including GCC fundraisers will be announced.
Military Discounts plus 1st Month Free
“CITIZENS SERVING THE PATRIOT WING”
The Galaxy Community Council is a 501c3 charitable corporation.
It is not part of the Department of Defense or any of its components and has no governmental status.